Monday 22 October 2012

The Launch


Note the triple keels, unlike other Pedros the bilge keels
have been extended improving windward performance 
and the ability to dry out flat.
At 12:03 the Mistley Prawn serenely floated off her trailer, the gentle waves rocked her slightly as Taz tried to push her head round with dinghy. Eventually I decided to hoist the jib,(for the first time), and it gently pushed her nose round. She was sailing! I set a course away from Stutton point, roughly east. The main was hoisted up and remarkably fitted. After a year of hard work she was sailing.

After a while I decided to tack round ,(due to some shouty men with fishing rods who's lines extended 500 m off shore), with the help of the jib her bow was pushed pass the wind and onto the other tack. As I sailed back against the flooding tide, I met some blocks that had floated off the trailer, one was six foot long and got stuck between the transom and the rudder stock.

In due course I saw Dad rowing towards me, I luffed up, managing to point 55 degrees counting leeway -not bad for a triple keeler drawing 18". Five minutes later dad was on board and we were sailing east again towards my intended anchorage. As we came up to the anchorage i headed towards the beach, dad dropped the danforth into the water as I luffed hard. Soon she was settled to her anchor and then aground.
e triple keel
Nothing had gone wrong, even the rigging had never been tested and fitted. A perfect days sailing.

1 comment:

  1. Look nice now that you have refurbished it. you've made a considerable improvement.

    ReplyDelete